Chikankari sarees are a traditional Indian garment that has been beloved for generations. Originating from the city of Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh, these sarees are famous for their intricate and delicate embroidery work. Chikankari is a form of hand embroidery that has been practiced in India for centuries. Typically done on lightweight fabrics like muslin, chiffon, or silk, Chikankari embroidery is ideal for sarees.
Origin of Chikankari
Chikankari is a type of traditional embroidery that originated in Lucknow, India during the Mughal period. According to some historians, the embroidery style was introduced by Nur Jehan, the wife of Mughal Emperor Jahangir. The word Chikankari is derived from the Persian word Chikan, which means embroidery.
Initially, Chikankari was practiced on fine muslin fabric and used white floral designs with white thread. The embroidery was done using a needle and a single strand of cotton or silk thread, creating intricate patterns that were both beautiful and delicate. We provide top-notch quality women's Latest Paithani Sarees Online that fulfills the need for every occasion and season. You can have a convenient online shopping experience with IRAAH - a one stop destination for women’s traditional wear.
As time passed, Chikankari evolved to include more colors and intricate designs, including floral and paisley motifs. The embroidery was also applied to different fabrics such as silk, chiffon, and cotton.
Chikankari became popular among the wealthy aristocrats and royal families of Lucknow, who wore the embroidered fabrics for special occasions and weddings. Eventually, Chikankari spread throughout India and became a beloved embroidery style among people worldwide.
The popularity of Chikankari has provided employment opportunities for many skilled artisans in India who specialize in this type of embroidery. Today, Chikankari is regarded as an important part of India's cultural heritage, and efforts are being made to preserve and promote this traditional art form.
The Chikankari embroidery technique involves creating intricate floral and paisley designs using white cotton threads. Each stitch is carefully placed by hand to create a beautiful pattern. Chikankari embroidery can be done in various styles, including shadow work, morri work, and panda work.
Chikankari sarees exude elegance and grace. The intricate embroidery work on these sarees is what sets them apart. The embroidery is usually found on the pallu (the end piece of the saree) and the border of the saree, creating a stunning visual effect. The embroidery is often done in white, but it can also be done in other colors, adding a pop of color to the saree.
Chikankari sarees are perfect for formal occasions, weddings, and festive events. They come in a range of fabrics, including cotton, silk, chiffon, and georgette. Chikankari sarees are perfect for Indian summers as they are lightweight and comfortable to wear.
What's great about Chikankari sarees is that they can be draped in different styles. You can wear the saree in a traditional way or experiment with different draping styles to create a unique look. Additionally, you can pair the saree with various blouses to create a new look every time you wear it.
Chikankari sarees are more than just garments; they are works of art. Each saree is unique and has its own story to tell. The beauty and elegance of Chikankari sarees have made them popular not just in India but all over the world.
Fabrics used for Chikankari
Chikankari is a type of traditional embroidery that originated in Lucknow, India. This embroidery style involves intricate white-on-white designs embroidered onto a range of fabrics. There are several types of fabrics commonly used for chikankari, including:
- Cotton: Cotton is a popular choice for chikankari because of its softness, breathability, and ease of embroidering. It is a natural fiber that absorbs moisture, making it comfortable to wear in warm weather. Are you looking to shop the Trendy Cotton Sarees Online at Affordable Price? Visit our website to have a glimpse of the stunning sarees that will make you fall in love with the collection.
- Muslin: Muslin is another common choice for chikankari, especially for fine embroidery. It is a sheer, lightweight fabric made from cotton or silk. Muslin chikankari fabric is often used for delicate designs, such as floral motifs and intricate patterns.
- Silk: Silk is a luxurious fabric that is often used for chikankari. Its soft, smooth texture makes it easy to embroider. Silk chikankari fabric is often reserved for special occasions like weddings and formal events.
- Georgette: Georgette is a sheer, lightweight fabric that is popular for chikankari. Its slightly crinkled texture adds dimension to the embroidery. Georgette chikankari fabric is often used for casual and formal wear, as it drapes well and is comfortable to wear in warm weather.
- Chiffon: Chiffon is a lightweight, sheer fabric that is also commonly used for chikankari. Its soft, flowing drape makes it perfect for flowing designs. Chiffon chikankari fabric is often used for elegant and formal wear.
While chikankari can be done on many types of fabrics, cotton, muslin, silk, georgette, and chiffon are some of the most popular choices for this type of embroidery.
Style Your Chikankari Sarees
A chikankari saree is a timeless piece of traditional Indian attire that exudes elegance and sophistication. Its exquisite embroidery, delicate patterns, and intricate designs make it a popular choice among women who appreciate fine craftsmanship and appreciate the beauty of handcrafted textiles.
When it comes to styling a chikankari saree, there are a few tips that can help you create a stunning look that will make you stand out from the crowd. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Choose the right accessories: A chikankari saree is a work of art in itself, so you don't want to go overboard with your accessories. Keep it simple and elegant with a pair of statement earrings, a delicate necklace, and a few bangles. Avoid wearing too much jewelry as it can take away from the beauty of the saree.
- Experiment with blouse styles: A chikankari saree can be paired with a variety of blouse styles, from classic to contemporary. You can opt for a simple, solid-colored blouse to let the saree take center stage, or you can choose a blouse with intricate embroidery to complement the saree's design. You can also experiment with different sleeve lengths, necklines, and back designs to create a unique look.
- Play with colors: Chikankari sarees come in a variety of colors, from pastels to bold hues. You can choose a color that complements your skin tone or go for a contrasting shade to make a statement. If you're not sure which color to choose, stick to classic shades like white, ivory, or beige, which will never go out of style.
- Choose the right footwear: When it comes to footwear, comfort is key. Opt for a pair of flats or low heels that match the color of your saree. If you prefer a more traditional look, you can go for a pair of juttis or mojaris, which will add a touch of ethnic charm to your outfit.
- Keep your makeup subtle: Since the chikankari saree is already a statement piece, you don't want to go overboard with your makeup. Keep it simple and natural with a light foundation, a neutral lip color, and a subtle eye makeup look.
A chikankari saree is a beautiful and versatile piece of clothing that can be styled in many different ways. With the right accessories, blouse style, color, footwear, and makeup, you can create a look that is both elegant and timeless. Discover the latest trends in sarees for the upcoming wedding season! Explore our extensive collection of ethnic sarees, elegantly embellished with stunning zari work and available in a myriad of breathtaking shades. Shop now and be ready to make a stylish statement at the weddings!
In conclusion, Chikankari sarees are a timeless Indian garment treasured for their intricate embroidery work. They are perfect for formal occasions, weddings, and festive events. These sarees are available in a range of fabrics and can be worn in different styles. Chikankari sarees represent Indian art and culture and are a must-have in every woman's wardrobe.if you have check our website iraah.store